Saturday 24 September 2016

On Unintentional Masterpieces

Dear readers, I doodle and draw and scribble everywhere. I do it mindfully and mindlessly. I do it in company and alone. Sometimes, I end up with something rather nice. In many ways, this is a serendipitous delight.

However, it does come with its problems. Above you will see a doodle from a train journey and a work surface respectively. The difficulties arise in that I feel a strange sense of bitterness that some of the pieces I work so hard at lack the lustre that my unintended masterpieces so effortlessly sport.

It's also hard to sell something or submit it to a gallery if the back of it contains my bank details...

A possible solution would be to doodle only on canvas or to use blank canvas as a work surface. Doodling on canvas on public transport might even attract attention. I do enjoy attention.

I shall report back...


www.emerahern.com

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I dislike the formality of a canvas, and feel a pressure to ' get it right' doodling elsewhere has a liberation, it's like bonus art that may not exist otherwise. A purity of sorts.

    ReplyDelete