Monday 8 August 2016

A Frosted Mistake

Once upon a time, I got out a 16x12 inch canvas and all my oil painting implements and started to create. And as I progressed, I became less and less satisfied. So I decided to paint over it and start again.

Painting over it, I realised something. The covering layer pleased me. It revealed soothing glimpses of mild colour and would dry to the texture of a fancy cake. I decorated the bottom corner and couldn't bring myself to paint any more.

My feelings towards it are mixed. On one hand, I'm pleased with the final product. On the other, it feels a tad like I stopped before I was finished. On my third (and most reflective) hand, I'm deeply aware of the fact that something less pleasant lies beneath.

This work means a lot to me. It truly captures the essence of trying to forget the past and right our wrongs. Much like a cake, it is heavy and sweet.

It is my frosted mistake.



P.S. Online shop now active at http://www.emerahern.com/429298325/category/819271/online-store

No comments:

Post a Comment